Wednesday, October 09, 2013

A Note to Explain the Absence of a Certain Authoress

From Neil MacGregor
Shiloh, New York
To Readers of the romantical novel Burning Sky
Everywhere

Dear Readers,

Please accept this wee Note which I was asked to pass along to ye, from a certain Authoress whose pen related to ye the stirring Account of my Travels and Adventures on the New York frontier, in the Year of Our Lord, 1784, which she and her Publisher were pleased to entitle Burning Sky, and who requested I inform ye that she shall be a bit Scarce on something she tells me is called a Blog.

Whatever that may be, her reasons for this Scarcity have to do with another Adventuresome Account she has lately been hired to pen. I dinna ken the whole of what Said Account may entail, but the Titular Character involved would appear to be one Tamsen Littlejohn. The Authoress explained her Absence, saying that an Opportunity for the advancement of said Account has been presented her, and as she has undertaken to accept it Gladly, she will be occupied quite feverishly elsewhere than on this Blog for the coming days, but will return as soon as may be, God willing.

I trust ye ken what it is she means, for I've nae clue, and I confess I feel myself a wee bit Abandoned. I'd hoped she might choose to relate to ye something more of my Account, for my Adventures by no means came to an end in 1784.

Aye well. All things in God's timing, should it be His Good Pleasure to see them come to pass. If I've learnt a Thing at all in this Life, 'tis verily that. Until, and if, such a Happy Day arrive, I remain your Humble Servant & etc...

Neil MacGregor

P.S. Sekoh. This is Willa. I wrote down these words for Neil.

12 comments:

  1. Oh so clever, Lori. And I love that you've delegated the task of communication to your characters. And I do love the sound of Neil MacGregor's voice. :) Congratulations on the opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love his voice too. Good thing he has Willa to write down his words for him.

      Delete
  2. Love. And can't wait to read Tamsen Littlejohn's story, so GET ON IT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I didn't have to learn those capitalization rules! :) We capitalize much less now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From my reading of source documents, not everyone in the 18th had learned those rules either! Sometimes the capitalization seems totally random, or used as we might use italics now, for emphasis. Some writers capitalized only nouns, others adjectives too. Or they capitalized some nouns and not others and I can't tell why.

      Delete
  4. You are downright amazing, Lori. I was thinking of you today as I've just returned to research for my next after turning in edits last week. If you ever feel up to it (and when you have time!), I'd love, love, love more about your process as far as research and drafting go. I can never get enough of others' approaches (as mine always seem to be changing, growing, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've talked about it in various interviews, but pulling all those answers together into a post is certainly something I could do. Mine process has gone through changes too, as over the past 20 years I started as a clueless (writing craft wise) newbie, changed genres more than once, experienced chemo fog, and retrained myself to write again.

      Delete
  5. Love this!! LOVE !!

    What a brilliant way to explain things AND drive readers to distraction over What Comes Next. You have a brilliant wit, and this was awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neil is a sharer. I know more about his story and see opportunity to write about it than any character I've ever written. I have so many plans for him. Including plans to write some of his back story. All subject to God's timing and His Good Pleasure, as Neil himself reminds me.

      Delete
  6. That's just marvelous, Lori! And while we'll miss you, we want Tamsen's story. Bright blessings on your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's going well so far. Going to be a marathon of a weekend though! Remember how we used to have marathon weekends on the forum? I think Beth S. would initiate them.

      Delete