Friday, June 28, 2013

My Summer Reading List

Here is my very long list of books I want to read this summer. Maybe I won't get to all of them over the summer, but eventually I will. I already own them. They live on my dressers, shelves, and laptop. Some of them I've already started.


Gone South by Meg Moseley. I'm over halfway through this story. Delightful!

The Firebird by Susanna Kearsely. I meant to save this one for vacation. I'm already well into it, and as usual, Susanna's writing is pure magic. She has a lyrical rhythm to her writing that pulls me in like a dream.

Song of the River by Sue Harrison. My current e-read (while I ride the stationary bike). I'm about halfway through, and amazed at Sue's world building skills. She's recreated the ancient Alaskan world in stunning detail.

The Canebrake Men  by Cameron Judd. Just getting started on this one. It's research as well as reading pleasure.


Also on my TBR Summer List:


Two Brides Too Many by Mona Hodgson

Ring of Secrets by Roseanna White

The Girl in the Glass by Susan Meissner

A Bride Opens Shop in El Dorado California by Keli Gwyn

Wishing on Willows by Katie Ganshert. I took a sneak peek at this one!

Five Days in Skye by Carla Laureano

Goodness & Mercy by Patti Hill

The Widow of Gettysburg by Jocelyn Green


What's on your summer reading list? Let me know in the comments!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you so much, as if I needed more suggestions for my TBR list!! :-D Seriously, those are great. (And I just finished Burning Sky ... wow! Loved it!!!! I'll be writing a review just as soon as I can breathe after this wedding.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shannon! What a blessing to end my week on, hearing you loved it.

      So many great books out there. I feel sad sometimes to know I can never read them all (even the ones I know about and WANT to read), but I think the right books for us come into our hands eventually. Which reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite books (the audio version), The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

      "Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers.”

      Delete
    2. That's a comforting thought! And I just checked out Cameron Judd on Amazon--is he any good?

      Delete
    3. Oh, and you're welcome! It was such a joy to read!

      Delete
    4. I chose to read Judd's books (the Tennessee series) for research. I've only finished the first one, and would say it had its gripping moments. It also had passages I ended up skimming. If you are interested in 18C TN history then I recommend them for sure. LOTS of great detail and he does capture the time and place well. And in the first book at least there are some compelling characters. I love frontier settings like this so that was the draw for me.

      Delete
  2. Some great reads there. And what fun to see TWO BRIDES TOO MANY there. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy reading to you too!

      Delete
  3. I'm currently reading BURNING SKY by this fabulous debut novelist, Lori Benton. :-) Seriously, Lori, your word pictures are exquisite, your gift of storytelling keeps me turning pages, and I'm awed by the amount of research that obviously went into the writing of your book. Can't wait to send my copy to our collection development supervisor with my recommendation for purchase.

    Lest anyone think I'm your publicist, I just finished Richard Mabry's riveting STRESS TEST. A few on my summer reading list: INVISIBLE by Ginny Yttrup, SLOW MOON RISING by Eva Marie.
    Everson, SMALL TOWN GIRL by Ann Gabhart, and MISTAKEN by Karen Barnett.

    So enjoy seeing what's on other people's TBR lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! I appreciate your support in the library system too. There are some titles on your list I want to read, esp. MISTAKEN. :)

      Delete
  4. Have you read Sue Harrison's earlier books? I devoured them. She hasn't published anything for a long time, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just getting to know Sue. She's an agency mate of mine, a lovely and encouraging lady, and she's writing in a different genre now, and would like to be published in the Christian market. This is the first of her books I've read, but I'm enjoying it immensely. Don't know how I missed them all these years.

      Delete