Thursday, April 18, 2013

An Expanded Vocabulary

This week two people I regularly read/follow/friend/like on social media shared on the subject of expanded vocabulary.

First was agent Janet Grant (of Books & Such Agency). She posted on their agency blog on How To Enrich Your Writing. In so doing, Janet shared one of the endorsements Burning Sky has so far received. It's from Jane Kirkpatrick, and it blessed me so much.

Then, this morning, my friend Linda shared this video on Facebook. It's a little story you may be familiar with. Settle in for the next eight minutes. I'd say get a fresh cup of coffee or tea, but you will only end up spewing it over your keyboard.

You have been warned. :)




4 comments:

  1. I listened to the video, now I'll link over and read the article. What a commentary that video is on our current vocabulary and speech practices. Funny, but sad! 54,000 word working vocabulary vs. our current 3,000. Is that the "dumbing down" of America we've heard about?

    I know it is very hard to get students to read today, at least at the college level (which I teach). I think high school is even worse. How do we reverse this trend?

    Anyway, thanks for the post.

    Also, congratulations on your book! Hope it does well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Warren!

      Wasn't that hilarious? Good on him for making such a commentary via story, so them that has ears might hear, and them that don't... probably stopped watching before he was through. :)

      Delete
  2. Just read Janet's article. It was very good (and having read that article, I should have some better words to describe her post than just "very good," but that is what it was :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a joke in our home that anything a certain member of my family (name withheld to protect the guilty party) thinks is all right, good, very good, or out-of-this-world awesome will be uniformly labeled "pretty good."

      Delete