Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pinterest

Pinterest. On first try I didn't really "get" it, so I deactivated my account after a few months.

Time passed. I got busy editing my debut historical, Burning Sky.

Then I thought... why not make a "behind the scenes" or inspiration page for Burning Sky? I love looking at photos that inspired other authors, whether its actors who resemble their characters, or photos of their clothing (especially with historicals), or the book's setting. And then I thought... Pinterest is actually better suited to that than a static page here on the website.

So I reactivated my account, still mulling over the idea, and discovered that Pinterest now allows you to create "secret" boards, so that the content isn't immediately viewable to anyone else.

Perfect. I could build my Burning Sky board and not have to worry about spoilers, since the book doesn't release until August.

I got busy, had loads of fun, and now I finally "get" Pinterest.

I'm not sure when I'll make the whole board public. That's something I'll talk over with my publishing house. But meantime, here's a little sneak peek of the content.


I made this collage at a photo editing site called PicMonkey.com. I highly recommend it!

4 comments:

  1. Lori! This is an excellent idea and I have to say I love that cover. I'm picky too. But I simply love it. And I'm so impressed by what PicMonkey helps folks do.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. I'm so glad you like it (and feel ridiculously happy like you just complimented my child, if I had one).

      And I know creating a book page isn't an original idea. Authors have been making these pages for some time, I see, I just haven't spent much time on Pinterest to see what kind of distractions a person can get up to there.

      Until now. Oh boy!

      Delete
  2. I'm eager to see whats in store on your Pinterest page. I agree with Wendy, the cover for Burning Sky is so beautiful. It would be so hard not to snatch this off the shelf in the bookstore. Looking forward to reading it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for that Joanne! And guess what came in the mail? THOUGH MY HEART IS TORN. Thank you so much, and I love your note (Amen!!). Can't wait to start reading more of Lonnie and Gideon's story!

      Delete