Friday, October 12, 2012

A Writer's Retreat (in Pictures)

A distant destination....



 A delicious greeting....




A perfect roommate....

Me & Judy Gann

A soul-soothing view....

The bay at Cannery Row

A bit of luxury....



 A rich decor....



A dramatic fountain....



 Even more so at night....



An agent, artfully lit.....

Me & Agent Wendy



A visit from a chatty John Steinbeck (this was Cannery Row, after all).... 

photo by Suzanne Tietjen


Three weary travelers at the end of a very long drive.....

Karen Barnett, Judy Gann. Great traveling companions
  
Not pictured but present... incredible food, encouragement, career building education and discussion, bocce ball, scavenger hunts, more food, otters, real dolphins, seagulls, bay waves crashing, a thunder storm, God, coffee, kayaks, amazing coincidences (like sitting at a table with a writer who was born in the same hospital I was (we'd never met until that meal) and another writer who used to work at that same hospital (we'd never met until that meal)), and the fellowship of like-minded souls.

Thanks to the fabulous Books & Such team, Wendy, Janet, Michelle, Mary, Rachelle, and Rachel (and Keith for the lovely cups!)

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful retreat, Lori! Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for sharing your pictures! Looks like you had a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds amazing. So happy you were able to go. Thanks for sharing.

    Grace and peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photo post. Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your time with us.

    Blessings,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. I tried to take photos during our sessions, but they call came out poorly. And I still find it hard to remember to take them when I'm with folks. I'm too busy listening and talking I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure looks like a wonderful time! I'm so happy you had this experience. Is the fact that you will be published next year starting to feel a little more real? Very excited for you and all the fun you are enjoying as a soon to be published author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering I'm jumping straight into content edits, and doing a phone interview today for the book's marketing next year, it's feeling more real. I popped awake at 4:26am, and my first thought was about that phone call. No sleeping after that! :)

      Delete
  7. Lori, YOU were the perfect roomie and a delightful travel companion. I miss you already!

    Praying for your phone interview today and your content edits. If you have time, give us an update after the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's coming up in a few minutes.

      Delete
    2. And the interview went well. I think I kept the "Ums" to a minimum. I enjoyed the chance to talk about what sparks my interest in early American frontier novels.

      Delete