Friday, August 03, 2012

A Gathering of Fiction Authors

If a gathering of horses is a herd, a gathering of fish is a school, a gathering of wolves is a pack, and a gathering of crows is a murder, what is a gathering of novelists called?

I'm traveling most of next week, heading to Colorado to visit my publisher for an author retreat. I'll meet with my editor (I have done briefly, some years before she became my editor), and tour the publishing offices.

As part of that, we'll meet the design team (and other teams, too, which are all a part of getting a book into the hands of readers, but the design team is sort of my Olympic Dream Team... just can't get this fine arts major to stop geeking out over the whole process and end result of cover design).

There will be an expert in the field to talk to us about marketing and social media.

Six other authors, none of whom I've yet met in person, will be attending. This is a big part of the excitement for me, getting to meet them!

And I'm sure there will be lovely food.

I'll take pics as I can and look forward to sharing here on the blog when I get back.
Sometimes I tell myself, "This is not my beautiful stapler." Sometimes I tell myself, "This is not my beautiful chair!" ~ Weird Al

6 comments:

  1. Oh, it's going to be so fun!! I'm so looking forward to meeting you, Lori, and I've got my jeans ready to pack ;) I'm with you...I studied art in high school and Junior College and the design process is one of my favs. WaterBrook Multnomah puts such care into their covers and books. I'm looking forward to seeing your cover one of these days not too far off! And even more, reading your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a little extra shopping this morning. :) I'm not much of a clothes shopper so events like this give me an excuse to buy something new. I should day, the motivation to take the time to do it. It's much more fun to shop for books on line. I'm looking forward to that cover too, and wonder if they've already started work on it. That and my first edits are the Big Things on my horizon just now. I've really liked the covers I've seen lately, including yours. You must be so thrilled, not much longer now before your big debut!

      Delete
  2. Hi Lori,

    I'm looking forward to meeting you. Tomorrow! I hear we're going to be roomies. Good news--I don't snore. Usually. :)

    Happy packing and safe travels!
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too Mona. Can't wait to meet you. I sleep with earplugs so it's all good. :) Safe travels to you too. I can hardly believe it's finally here.

      Delete
  3. If a gathering of horses is a herd, a gathering of fish is a school, a gathering of wolves is a pack, and a gathering of crows is a murder, what is a gathering of novelists called?

    A "worship."

    I kid you not. [g]

    According to James Lipton's An Exaltation of Larks, the proper collective phrase is "A worship of writers."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. Wish I'd known that while at the Author Retreat! Too funny.

      Delete