Thursday, April 05, 2012

Black Flies!

Black fly, by crabchick, via flickr
I've never been bitten by one. I grew up in Maryland. Now I live in Oregon. I guess those states aren't bothered too much by them, because to the best of my knowledge I've never even seen one (unless I blocked out the memory that summer in Minnesota.....).


If you've ever been bitten by a black fly and feel like sharing TMI, leave a comment and tell me the gory details. What sort of localized reaction to the bite did you have? How much did it hurt? Did it bleed?

Yes. This is for research. I've asked a few folk in the past but thought I'd cast a broader net.

PS: They look positively wicked, don't they? 

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! I haven't been bitten by a black fly, but we have a nasty little fly here in the South that bites plugs out of humans, cows, horses, dogs, etc. It has swept back wings with curious little white circles on them. The local culture calls them "zeros" for their resemblance to Japanese fighters from WWII. When they bite, you have the feeling of instant, intense, burning pain. There's no way you can ignore it. You slap, cry out or cuss, if that's your way. A trickle of blood *will* be there, too. Don't know if that helps or not. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the story is set in New York so I had best stick to those pesky northern bugs. I think maybe Maryland was a safe zone between the black flies and what you described Zan Marie. I don't remember getting bit by anything so vicious and I lived there until my early twenties (and spent a lot of time in the woods).

      Delete
    2. Lori,
      Have you thought about asking on the Forum? Surely someone there would know what a black fly bite feels like.

      Delete