Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Whatever shall I wear?

With my new gown, that is.

I've acquired an 18th century style costume gown, created by the talented Scott Blake at Yordreems Creations. From their website: "Scott is known all over the world as one of the leading wardrobe replicators. Now with his wife Erica lending a hand, Yordreem items have been seen everywhere…including the filming of POTC2 (Pirates of the Caribbean 2), the set National Treasure2, Disney World Resorts, TV commercials, huge scale travel advertisements, national television, and on and on…"

Impressive! And so is this gorgeous gown.

Now I need to get a shift (or chemise) and a set of stays, so I can have the gown altered a bit. It's really quite a good fit even without the stays. Just a little big in the shoulders. But stays will tell the real story, I'm sure. So I'm exercising self control and not having the dress altered until I can afford to buy them.

I have to say that simply wearing the gown for an hour or so gave me a whole new appreciation for what the women of the 18th century put up with when it came to clothes. And I wasn't even wearing stays yet! After an hour I had a great deal more sympathy for one of my characters in my WIP, who is left all dressed up and waiting around for a man who is very late, unable to sit down for fear of creasing her gown (as I waited for my husband to arrive home so I could show him the gown, before changing back into my comfy sweats).

When I can budget in the rest of the garments for a complete 18th century ensemble, I'll have myself photographed in the gown. For now though here is a sneak peek, photo taken by Scott and used with his permission (thanks Scott!)


8 comments:

  1. Lori!!!!! Did you hear me ooohing and ahhhing? This gown is so gorgeous and it will look so wonderful with your coloring. What a blessing for you to get your 18th century gown! Oh, I hope to see you at ACFW in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, I did have ACFW in mind, if I could ever find the courage! This dress isn't reenactment precise (it has a zipper, which personally I appreciate, but isn't period correct) but I fell madly in love with it when I saw it on ebay. This is Scott's first gown creation, believe it or not. He's mostly done men's clothing, ala Pirates of the C. until now. I hope he makes more women's gowns in future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And the color is just a bit paler, a more buttery gold, than this photo shows. Which means I liked it even more when I saw it in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you know, as conscious as I was of wearing this gown, the way it made me stand and move differently, the weight of it, the bulk of it, it was also the most wonderfully feminine feeling to be wearing such a garment. I'm in no wise a girly girl, and rarely am ever seen in a skirt, and so was a bit taken aback at how much I enjoyed wearing this gown. Not for day work, though! Maybe one day I'll acquire a workaday petticoat and short gown and.... oh dear. I see I've opened a door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a stunning gown, Lori! Congratulations. Like Carla, I do hope you plan on wearing it to the Award Ceremony at the ACFW conference next year. I'd love to see you in it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keli, I don't know if I'll be at the conference next year. I have three conferences I'm trying to choose from in 2012, well, two conferences and one retreat. I can only afford to attend one. SO hard! But one of these years I hope I get up the nerve to wear this dress to the ACFW awards dinner (if certain other historical authors will agree to wear their dresses too!). But can you imagine trying to pack it? It's HUGE. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It gives you a whole new appreciation for what it must have cost in both time and money to dress in even reasonable fashion in the 1700s, doesn't it? The amount of fabric required compared to our clothing today is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joan, you aren't kidding. SO much fabric to the skirt and petticoat. I'm sure comparably this gown would have cost a lot more in the 1700s than today.

    ReplyDelete