Saturday, June 25, 2011

Saturday Snippet

I'm thinking on the weekend I'll start posting a favorite snip from my week's work. It might be from new material in the WIP, The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn, or something I've gone over editing from Kindred or The Quiet in the Land. I'll be careful not to include any major plot spoilers.

Today's snippet is from a section I've just edited to pass along to my crit partner.

From The Pursuit of Tamsen Littlejohn
Chapter 7
Copyright 2011 Lori Benton


Down in the draw the creek rushed over rocks. A breeze threshed the trees, in the swaying blackness above the firelight's reach. In scant grass nearby, Mr. Bird’s horse grazed. With the cloak around her, a roof of pine boughs to shelter her, a crackling fire to warm her, Tamsen felt remarkably snug. The ache of grief still weighed heavy, but something like peace had settled over her with the release of tears. While Mr. Bird had worked on the shelter, she’d gone down to the creek to rinse her filthy petticoat and bodice, and come up the draw again in time to see the clouds part and the sun setting behind ribbons of dusk-purpled ridges, in a glory that made her stand and drink it in.
Now the sky loomed black, with stars spread in a glittering net that showed in patches between the trees.
Whither shall I flee from thy presence?” she whispered, breathing in the tang of pine and rain-soaked leaves. “If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there.”
Above creek and wind and flame, Mr. Bird’s voice rose. “If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
Tamsen looked at her guide, surprised he'd recognized the scripture, much less could quote it too. He sat cross-legged, his rifle by his knee, looking back at her with such quiet intensity she couldn’t hold his amber gaze, or her tongue. “Do you mean to answer my question?”
“What question was that?”
“Why aren’t you sure, about being white?”
She felt his stare a moment longer before he said, “I’m as much Indian as Cade is, never mind my skin’s not brown.”
Tamsen looked up to see him holding a hand toward the flames, staring at the back of it.
“Not as brown, anyway.”
His mouth tilted in a crooked smile, as though he took pleasure in teasing her with these mystifying statements. “I don’t understand,” she said. 
So he proceeded to enlighten her. 

2 comments:

  1. YAY! I am very excited about this new feature of yours. :) Enjoyed reading the excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth. It was getting lonely hanging there alone. Like Hardison when Nate ignores his fist bump. And speaking of Leverage, the Season 4 premiere is available to watch free today (Mon) on iTunes. Not sure about tomorrow. Squeee!

    ReplyDelete