Tuesday, March 29, 2011

A Celtic Odyssey in song

To my surprise (though why I'm surprised anymore I don't know) I found the tracks to one of my favorite Celtic music CDs on Youtube. 

Celtic Odyssey, a Narada collection, is one of the few CDs I own of which I can honestly say I adore every single track, and never skip a one no matter how many times I've listened to them. I do have a favorite, though. Listen through, it's the only song with no instrumental accompaniment. This was the music I found inspiring during the writing of Kindred, which has a lot to do with Scots, and Scottish immigrants in North Carolina.

Follow the links. Hope you enjoy them, and check out more of each artist's work.

1. Carolan's Ramble to Cashel, by Northern Lights
2. The Butterfly, by Orison
3. Donal Agus Morag/The New-Rigged Ship, by Altan
4. Calliope House/The Cowboy Jig, by Alasdair Fraser/Paul Machlis
5. Chuaigh Me 'Na Rosann, by Scartaglen
6. Trip to Skye, by John Whelan/Eileen Ivers
7. Are Ye Sleeping, Maggie? by Alasdair Fraser
8. Tribute to Peadar O'Donnell, by Moving Hearts
9. Siun Ni Dhuibhir, by Relativity
10. Alasdair Mhic Cholla Ghasda, by Capercaillie
11. Puirt a Beul, by Sileas
12. The York Reel/Dancing Feet, by Gerald Trimble
13. Morghan Meaghan, by Laurie Riley and Bob McNally
14. Strathgarry, by Simon Wynberg

15 comments:

  1. Lori, I have that CD! Somewhere. I haven't listened to it for a long time. One of the tracks on it comes from one of my all-time favorite CDs: Northern Lights, by Northern Lights. Not sure it's available any more, but it has gorgeous music on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a Celtic fan and this looks wonderful, Lori. I'll have to listen to some of the tracks. Would love a CD to write by though I don't think you do that! But it provides endless inspiration no matter when you listen, I'm thinking. Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I haven't checked out Northern Lights yet. Several of the others. I like Alasdair Fraser and Capercaillie too.

    Laura, I think you'll like this CD. You're right, I can't listen to music while I write. In fact, I'm getting ready to go back to work for the afternoon and am wearing earplugs in an empty, quiet house. I need total silence, most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a favorite CD of mine, too. The track you like best is 11 - yes? I remember you told me once. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doree... I think I sent you that CD, didn't I? I've had it a long time. Karen Ball gave it to me years ago and man, what a treasure. I've since bought several more for gifts.

    Yes, track 11 is the one I like best. Love their harmonies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see how this CD sweeps you away, I listened to many of the songs and found the one you mentioned! I saw what I think were the lyrics posted on the you tube video, so funny and charming.

    Thanks for sharing this with us. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always think of you when that song plays. Actually, when any of those songs play, I think of you! Yes you sent it to me. I remember how happy I was then to receive a package I just sat and hugged it awhile, before opening it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doree, you so just made my day. XO

    Carla, glad you enjoyed them. I was thrilled to find them all on Youtube, though that can't replace having the CD to play continuously while I'm puttering about the place here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lori, are you familiar with Medieval Baebes? They sing old music, in Latin, Middle English, other languages sometimes. Some of it is a capella. Gorgeous, gorgeous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth, I've never heard of them. I'll go see what's to be had on Youtube. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth, I like!!!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pssdjz-QxXY

    This was the first I listened to. Wow, I love this sound. Thanks so much for the music sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This clip has one of my absolute favorite songs on it (it's E Volentieri, from their Undrentide album). This video is not a great recording (the song starts about 1:15 in), but it is an absolutely haunting piece of music.

    http://tinyurl.com/3q6jvlo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beth, that's a nice one too. I like the songs with a simple musical beat and their voices together best so far.

    Do you have a favorite album? If I was only going to buy one (to start with) what would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I love Undrentide. I think my second favorite might be Worldes Blysse. Or Salva Nos. Oh, it's so hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Beth. I'll definitely be ordering one soon. I might start with whichever has Pearl on it. Out of all the songs I've previewed so far, that's my favorite. So glad you introduced me to these ladies.

    ReplyDelete