Tuesday, February 08, 2011

A prayer before setting out

The plotting for Jesse is done, even down to a one page blurb and a potential (real) title. I'm about to start writing Chapter One, and I'm eager to discover how well this detailed plotting will work for me. Will it help me write the first draft in under a year's time? Time will tell!

I'm excited about the new setting. It's eastern Tennessee, 1787 (back in the day it was still western North Carolina), in what is now the Elizabethton area. Really the whole Tennessee Valley, as it seems my characters will be on the move quite a bit throughout this story.

Well, I'm stalling for just a few moments more here before I head off down a dusty trail to find two of my characters on an autumn journey, long enough to share the prayer in my heart this morning. It's in the form of three scriptures I keep in mind at every stage of writing a novel.

Commit your works to the LORD, and your thoughts shall be established. Proverbs 16:3

How I need my thoughts to be established! 

And let the beauty of the LORD our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us; Yes, establish the work of our hands. Psalm 90:17

His establishing will be beautiful. And when my heart is overwhelmed....

You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you. Isaiah 26:3

2 comments:

  1. A few of my favorite verses. :)
    I'll be watching to see how it works out for you. I do love stories when the characters move about. My novel includes a survey expedition and it keeps things quite active as they travel. Good way to prevent sagging middles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, sagging middles, how I hate those! :) But you're right, and I noticed that during the plotting stage. This story has an energy about it, at least in outline form, that is sustained from start to finish, with two slightly more restful spots to give the reader a bit of a breather. That's something I've had to work hard to achieve (and hopefully succeeded!) with my previous two books, but not until the revision stages. My hope is that with this outline I can get it "righter" on the first pass.

    Looking forward to seeing your work in print next year!

    ReplyDelete