Monday, December 27, 2010

You know that feeling?

You know that feeling when you start a novel by a new-to-you author, one you stumbled upon at Amazon or a used book store or the library, that no one told you about or recommended, but it's your favorite historical genre, favorite setting, favorite time period exactly, and you open the book thinking I'll just check out the first page for now because I've got stuff to do and no time to sit and read.... and 7 or 8 pages later realize you're already under the book's spell?

Got that feeling today with The Land Breakers, by John Ehle. And it doesn't even matter if the book continues to engross me or not. I hope it does. I expect it will. But just to have had this moment of exhilaration and hopefulness about it, this sense of a new and exciting world opening before me, makes for a rare and lovely belated Christmas gift.

It's a feeling that never, ever gets old.

photo by takomabibelot, Flickr

4 comments:

  1. At times like these I find myself torn between wishing I'd discovered the author sooner and being grateful I'd found them at all. Enjoy your read, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way you describe that connecting moment between reader and book. Sigh. It gave me warm fuzzies. When I go to the bookstore I always try to purchase one new book that I know absolutely nothing about. It gets harder to do now that I am discovering so many prolific favourite authors. I think this year I'm going to set a goal to buy at least one debut novel every month. There's something so thrilling about the idea of discovering a book by a fresh new author just embarking on his/her publishing journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally, I could have discovered John Ehle much, much sooner, as this particular book was published in 1964. He's written several stories set in the southern Appalachians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kav, This time the author is a couple generations ahead of us. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ehle

    Born in 1925. And The Land Breakers was published in the 60s... which is why I was so pleasantly surprised to be quickly engrossed in it, even though it's my favorite time period/setting. I don't always experience that with books written before the 1970s. Always happy to find an exception.

    I agree, discovering a great debut author is thrilling, too.

    ReplyDelete