Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Apples to Oranges

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving holiday (those in the USA). Mine included an unexpected blessing, getting to indulge in a few hours of great conversation with two new acquaintances, a screen writer and a photographer/filmmaker (the latter who happened to have a bit of footage on his phone he shot on the set of Chuck, one of my favorite shows), both of whom I met at dinner on Thanksgiving.

But now I'm back to work, editing The Quiet in the Land. On a break this morning, surfing my usual blog haunts, I came across a reassuring and, for me, timely post from agent Rachelle Gardner cautioning writers to refrain from comparing themselves to other writers, particularly in their writing process. I expect this wisdom holds true no matter what creative sort you happen to be.

"Some people write a novel a year. Others need two years to get out a good novel. Still others write two (or even three) novels a year. Wherever you happen to be on that spectrum—it’s okay. It’s who you are. Don’t let anyone try to talk you into being something different." ~ Rachelle Gardner

Visit Rachelle's blog to read the entire post. If you've ever struggled with how fast others write while you feel like you're plodding along at a turtle pace (like me!) or if you've ever wished your process was more like another writer's, head on over and be encouraged.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an interesting Thanksgiving! Ours was a little odd, we lost power for a few hours and had to eat veggies first and Turkey a few hours later. But it was still a good day. We had some good table conversation since everyone wasn't so busy stuffing their faces and we just lingered around hoping the turkey would hurry up and cook.

    Oh, it is so tempting to compare. I really don't have a good sense of how long it will take me to write a full size novel yet. I may be writing a few shorter length ones for a few years. I'm going to pop over to Rachelle's blog and see what she has to say.

    Blessings,
    Enjoy Tecumseh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, I saw on FB about your power outage. Have to say that's something that's never happened to me on a holiday, but I see you found the good in it nonetheless. There's much to be said for a slower pace and good conversation.

    Looking forward to the release of your debut historical set in the Four Corners. SO excited for you!

    ReplyDelete