Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Gathering in the Harvest

October is my favorite month and has been for as long as I can remember. Like my friend and fellow historical writer, Ann Shorey said to me recently, "I endure summer so I can get to fall." Amen.

Why do I love this month? It's the cool mornings when I turn on the gas fireplace, just for a few minutes to take the edge off the chill. It's the cloud cover and rain showers after such a long 'severe clear' summer. It's the colors too. My favorites. Rusty reds, ochres and oranges and yellows, and every shade of brown. And still that splash of verdure as our summer-scorched lawn greens up around the edges where the sprinklers never quite reached. There are piles of pumpkins on hay bales, cornfields with stalks dried golden brown, and all the lovely harvested produce. And candles. Did I mention candles? I love spicy, fall-scented candles that make the room smell like cinnamon and apples and maple and every good thing baking in the oven. And the leaves--what a glorious finish to their short life cycle. I pray my own finish will be as colorful.

I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14

This month I'm endeavoring to really buckle down and write with all my heart and strength, and if possible, finish the first draft of The Quiet In The Land (Willa). I've reached the final chapters, the final turns of plot that culminate in the end of these characters' journeys. It's totally absorbing me now... even though a wholly new set of characters has already begun nudging at the door of my heart. But I can't open that door until I've allowed Willa and Neil and Joseph to finish their party in the front parlor, clean up, and head home.

It's harvest time all around, and here at my computer as well, as I gather in all the story threads I've spun across an 18th century frontier landscape, and bring them all to a hopefully satisfying end before the first snow flies.

10 comments:

  1. Well said, Lori! Good luck with your writing endeavors. :)

    I too am so deliriously happy that fall has finally arrived at my corner of the world...an at times unbearably hot summer lingered way to long this year IMO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. :) Blessings to you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pic and post, Lori! Seems fitting that you should be ending Willa at this time of year, your favorite. Happy fall and early birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Willa's story ends at this time of year too, just as fall is settling in good. Another reason I want to finish the first draft before winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm taking in a deep breath of fresh autumn air and wishing you a harvest of blessings as you complete your novel.

    Somehow I just got this visual of a cornucopia of miniature characters trying to come to life....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish you well on the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looove autumn :) I was supposed to be born in august but 'waited' until late september. I chalk it up to an innate desire to be an autumn baby ;)

    This time of year is always my busiest time with craft shows and such. I suppose it is a sort of harvest as I get to share and sell all these things I've been working on and squirreling away all spring and summer.

    Happy writing to you!~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carla,

    That's an apt visual for how it feels right now. The mailman just delivered the first research book for this new WIP (guess I have to call it that now it has it's own file). I plan to read that during the two weeks I mean to rest my brain after Willa's first draft is completed. Then it will be Editing Time. Blessings on your writing as well. Are you starting something new?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Keli. Wishing you well, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather, If I could repeat any month over again it would be October. I was supposed to be born on Oct 24th, but was actually born with a half hour of October left to spare.

    Hope the craft shows are going well. I love attending those and being surrounded by all the autumn crafts, produce, canned goods, art--truly my element.

    ReplyDelete