Thursday, September 23, 2010

ACFW photo at last!

Or at least a photo from the trip.

The day after the conference, back in Nashville, I got to experience another highpoint of my trip, meeting Booktalk & More's reviewer, Ruth Anderson, in person.

Ruth and her review site have linked me up with some wonderful films, books, and tv shows (it's all down to her that I'm such a huge Chuck/Zachary Levi fan) over the past year or so that I've been a regular reader of her blog. If you haven't checked out Booktalk & More, you are missing one of the best review sites of period films, Christian fiction, and more, on the net.

Before we toured the historic Rock Castle (more on that in a future post), Joan Shoup and I met up with Ruth and Kaye Dacus (a favorite author of mine I met in person at the conference) at Panera Bread, in Nashville. I love Panera. I've only dined at one once before. I wish we had one in my town. Or anywhere within an hour's drive of my town. Though I'm not a fan of big cities in general (they tend to put me in a fetal position, mentally), I have to say having all these wonderful restaurants and stores handy is a perk.

Speaking of which, after our lunch we went next door to the coolest bookstore I've ever set foot in. I'd never even heard of Davis-Kidd Booksellers, but their atmosphere beats any other major bookseller chain store I've visited.


Me, Ruth, Joan, and Kaye

Ruth and I had, separately, watched the Chuck season 4 premiere the night before, but since Kaye is still catching up with season 3, we had to phrase our brief side-bars on the topic very ambiguously, to avoid sharing spoilers.

It happened to be Ruth's birthday, and I was so blessed she was able to share a bit of it with us. She's so down-to-earth and sweet, it felt like I've known her a good long time. I only wish we could have made an entire day of it. But she and Kaye were off to see a movie together, and Joan and I were off to tour Rock Castle....

6 comments:

  1. Lori, it was such a wonderful, fantastic gift to get to meet you and hang out on my birthday! Definitely one of my best birthdays in a while. :) And you are so sweet to say such nice things about me & the little ol' blog. :) I'm looking forward to the day I can review one of your novels on my site! I am really hoping that our paths will cross again someday in the not too distant future and that we'll get to spend more time together.

    Also, I am looking forward to weekly Chuck discussions...I think they are much-needed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic, Lori! It sounds like you had a fantastic trip. I'm so happy for you that you got to take a "field trip". I bet you were in your glory.

    And congratulations on being a finalist for the Genesis. Was that for Willa? And you had won the Genesis a previous year if I remember correctly. Your talent is shining all over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carla, Willa (The Quiet in the Land) won second place in the Genesis, in the historical category. They call it runner up now. They used to award 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, and the last year they did that, 08, Kindred placed third.

    Those two tours of late 18th century houses, one in KY, one in TN, were definite highlights. We had wonderful guides both times, and that can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth,

    Oh goodness, you're encouraging me to talk about Chuck? Do you really think that's wise? :-) LOL. I think you are the only person in my life who doesn't want me to shut up about Chuck already.

    Can't wait for Monday to roll around again. This will be my first season watching them as they air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just glad to have company in my Chuck fandom so I don't have to shut up about it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruth, did you see the season 4 preview clips? It's looking GOOD!

    ReplyDelete