Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm Committed

To the ACFW Conference in September. I've registered. I've bought my airline tickets. I'm committed. Gulp.

It will be my first ACFW conference, though not my first conference by far. I've been to... well something like four or five OCW (Oregon Christian Writers) Summer Coaching Conferences, where we had great keynote speakers like Lonnie Hull Dupont and Francine Rivers, and I've attended one Mount Hermon Conference, which was so peaceful and laid back, situated among the redwoods near Santa Cruz, CA, that it felt a lot like attending a summer camp, only with a bunch of writers, editors, agents, teachers. The class I took on fiction writing, taught by author Davis Bunn, was one of the best I'd ever sat through. Got the CDs. Even listened to them again, twice.

I blogged about that experience here, and here, and other places.

Now though, it's ACFW. Indianapolis. It's going to be held at a ritzy-looking hotel that is way over my normal glamour ceiling. I mean, there's going to be a banquet, where I'll probably have to wear a dress. Something besides blue jeans anyway. I better check my closet. Do I own something besides blue jeans? Rustic Oregon Girl Buys Dress and Goes to the City. But first... she goes to Nashville, and takes a road trip with her friend Joan (aka J. M. Hochstetler, author of the American Patriot Series and publisher and editorial director of Sheaf House), from her home in the Nashville area north through Kentucky and thence to Indy. I'm so looking forward to this part. Road Trip! And on the way back from ACFW we plan to visit Locust Grove, a 1790s plantation house in Louisville. I Can't wait to step foot in this house. Living way out on the Left Coast, it can be years between my chances to do this sort of on the spot 18th century research.

A few other things I'm looking forward to in Indianapolis:

~ Meeting many writers in person I've known on line for months or years. Topping this list is my dear crit partner, Laura Frantz.

~ The Early Bird session with James Scott Bell. I already know this will be instructive because Jim Bell's books (The Art of War for Writers, in particular) are some of the best writing craft books out there.

~ The glitz and glamour (you may laugh, but it will seem like g & g to me, who am much more suited to a cabin in the redwoods). Being intimidated is no reason not to look forward to it. :)

~ Meeting my agent in person (though we did meet very briefly a year before she became my agent).

~ Learning. Can't get enough of that.

~ Hanging out with other writers for a long weekend. It doesn't get more fun than that.

So who else is going? What are you most looking forward to? Have you been to an ACFW conference before? Got any pointers for an ACFW newbie?

19 comments:

  1. How exciting you get to go to the ACFW conference for the first time this year. I signed up as well--this will also be my first ACFW conference. I am VERY nervous, but excited, too. I am really looking forward to meeting one of my critique partners and other blogging friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cindy, I know what you mean (nervous & excited). I look forward to seeing you there. If you see me before I see you, please come up and say Hi. I'll probably be hanging on the edge of a crowd somewhere, or sitting near the back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just jealous! :-) Sounds like such fun, my friend. I already know you're going to be blessed in many ways. God is so good. Take a note or two to share with those of us back home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds wonderful ~ I hope you have a rich and fulfilling time. I'm hoping to make it next year, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to ACFW, but I wish for everyone the best and can't wait to hear everyone's stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori, I just looked at your works-in-progress. They sound fascinating, especially the NYS setting as I am an upstate NY resident.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me excited at ACFW Conference but then . . .

    WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO BE IN NASHVILLE?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're going to be in Nashville? For more than the blink of an eye?? I'd love to meet you before you hit the road for ACFW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward most to meeting you, Lori! And my editor:) And Kaye, etc. Anyway we could get Ruth to come? And Carla! And Julia! Glad everyone seems interested and excited. It's a really well done event. Only 80 some more days now...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doree, I will take notes (probably more than anyone would ever want to see). And I'll be thinking of you so close... or at least way closer than we usually are to each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carla, I so wish you were going this year. We will be thinking of you and wishing you were there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruth & Kaye, I'll pmail you on FB and let you know more details. I can't come all that way and not meet in you person, Ruth (and Kaye, I'll see you at the conference if not also in Nshvll). Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Julia, thank you for taking a look at my WIPs. It's encouraging to me that you found them interesting. I may do a post about creating a one sentence pitch. I've found so many good pointers on the subject lately.

    I've never been to NY (aside from that crazy city down in the SE corner of the state). Writing about a place I haven't yet seen takes a lot of extra research, but the feedback I've had about the setting so far has been good. I do mean to get to the Mohawk Valley (and up along West Canada Creek) before all is said and done.

    Thanks for the good wishes about the conference. I like to pray for these events and all the people for weeks, if not months, ahead of time, and you've reminded me to begin doing that now. So many writers, all with their dreams, some of them fragile, some struggling with discouragement, some destined to hear a word from God about direction, some to see their dreams come true, some to hear a word they might not want to hear. Words like "wait." Each one with a voice that's precious and irreplaceable. God knows each heart and has a perfect plan and timing for each dream. Makes me tear up just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura, I know, the list of folks I can't wait to meet is long!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lori, can't wait to meet you at ACFW! I was blessed to meet Laura at last year's conference. So many wonderful people to see, so much to learn, you will have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa, I'm glad you will be there, too. I'm looking forward to meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ughhh...I hope I'm not offending anyone but I do not like travelling in THAT city. I think I've only driven through Mohawk Valley...the Adirondacks and Finger Lakes are breathtaking. I would love to see more books set in our state (other than the city where everyone assumes all of us live).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julia, I have no love for big cities. None whatsoever. I grew up just outside of DC and got my fill in my first 24 years.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OK Lori, we are in agreement there! I really wanted to go to the BEA conference, but we just will not drive in NYC.

    ReplyDelete