Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Blog World: A Snapshot

Today I want to highlight what the blogs I'm following have posted. Just because. No really, it's because I'm deep in a scene in my WIP and want to stay focused there today and through the weekend. Not on that one scene, but I'm around the halfway point in the story and feeling the need to step up the pace, both in the story itself and in my work intensity. So, big breath before I dive in today, and here's a look at what's going on in my blogging world. Some pretty cool stuff here. Check 'em out!

~ On the Seekerville blog, multi-published author Camy Tang has a post on writing the One-Sentence Hook for your story. This is a very worthy and needful exercise, even if you aren't seeking publication for your work yet. I've tried it. It's not easy!

~ Author Jennifer Hudson Taylor has a post on a subject near and dear to my heart--Scottish trivia. This question is about a certain clan motto. The clan motto of the Camerons, the Scottish immigrants in Kindred, is Aonaibh ri chéile: Let us unite!

~ Author Sarah Sundin has a post on Today in WWII History.

~ Favorite Pastimes has posted a review of No Other, by Shawna K. Williams. Set in WWII Texas.

~ Richard Mabry, author of Code Blue, talks about the importance of sales figures for authors.

~ The Borrowed Book has posted an excerpt of Emmy's Equal, by Marcia Gruver.

~ Ruth (reviewer extraordinaire) at Booktalk & More has posted part one of her upcoming summer movie list. Go watch some trailers. The one set in Hawaii caught my eye.

~ Author Jody Hedlund writes about Creating Characters that Make Readers Cry. This is one of my favorite writing craft/industry blogs by a soon to debut novelist.

~ Novel Matters, a blog I visit daily, has a guest poster this week. Andy Meisenheimer of TED (The Editorial Department), talks about freelance editing and the services TED offers to authors, pubbed and unpubbed. Very informative.

~ Carla Gade talks about her writing process, juggling multiple projects, and jumping in to write a story when you don't know where it starts.

~ Quick! Historical author (and my crit partner) Laura Frantz is giving away a copy of Deeanne Gist's Maid to Match. Winner will be announced on Saturday, so go there and comment, schell!

~ And at Novel Journey, one of the first writing blogs I discovered, author Athol Dickson has some profound words on beauty, and writing when life is painful. Don't miss this one. 

And that's it for my followed blogs. There are more over in the sidebar... all good stuff for writers and readers and anyone interested in the crazy business that is book publishing.

I have a cabin full of people on the New York frontier about to hear an ominous gunshot, so I need to go make sure they are completely unprepared for what's about to happen next....

11 comments:

  1. It's a blog party!! What fun! :) Thanks for the link Lori...now to find the time to explore... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romper, bomper, stomper boo. Tell me, tell me, tell me, do. Magic Mirror, tell me today, have all my friends had fun at play? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Lori! Thank you for that very nice compliment about my blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome, Jody. I don't know how you keep putting such good stuff out there so many days of the week! And with all else you are doing. I bow to your mad blogging skills. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much, Lori, for the mention:) Love being amongst such good company, you included!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura, I always tell myself I might get a little more done if I spent less time on line. I blame you all for being so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for mentioning Seekerville, Lori!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to do so, Tina. You have a lively, informative blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There are so many blogs I love to peek in and visit...its a bit addicting. I also love love books. I cant wait til I can read what you've been up to! I love some frontier stories ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for mentioning my one-sentence hook post! It was a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Camy, I wanted to participate, but, you know, that one-sentence hook thing is hard. :) I do have a few but they are more like 30 words long.

    Heather, oh, thank you. I hope it won't be too many more years! And I always enjoy visiting your blog. I need to come by and see how your show is doing.

    ReplyDelete