Monday, April 19, 2010

In the spirit of Revolutionary America.....

A couple of lighter, fun 18th century related items I found over the weekend, both dealing with our country's founding fathers.

Did you know that a New York library is missing two of its books that were due in 1789? Guess who checked them out and never returned them?

And I was thrilled to find this posted by a forumite on the Books and Writers Community. It's a parody of Apologize, by One Republic. I've watched that video and am of the opinion that the parody is of higher quality in every way, but then any song with a fiddle solo is going to rank higher with me than one without.

 

One might surmise that President Washington is probably sorry he did not return those books... but it's too late to apologize.

10 comments:

  1. Great post, Lori! I am off to watch the vid again. It's great! Fiddling, especially:) Paul says danka, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, we're just the wee bit addicted to it over here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great!

    Oh, poor George. I have a book I need to return. Better get it in before I get in any more trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That apologize video is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I don't feel so badly about the $3 fine I had to pay at the library last week. ;) And I love the video!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting story about George Washington! Makes me feel better (like Sallie) about my late books! And the video was cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I love our public library (which had to close for a year due to funding) and I'm happy to pay whatever fine they want to charge me for overdue books. And I always make them keep the change. :) That Year Without A Library was not fun for this historical fiction writer/researcher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant "lack of funding." :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely fantastic!!!!

    What a great story about good old George. That makes me feel better. Years ago when I was researching Daughter of Liberty, I borrowed John Cary's Joseph Warren from the Ft. Wayne library, and I couldn't bear to turn it back in. I fully intended to keep it forever, but after more than a year my conscience finally got the better of me and I returned it and paid the fine. Then in the 1990s I found it on a used books site and bought it immediately. It was expensive, but well worth the price!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Joan,

    I have a book like that out from the library now. The Bloody Mohawk by Thomas Wood Clarke. It's an older book and the copies I've found on line are a little spendy (some are a LOT spendy). But it's so chock-full of great information I've found nowhere else, that I keep checking it out over and over and will continue to do so until I'm done writing WILLA or another person reserves it.

    I'm sure in George Washington's case it just slipped his mind. The man had a lot else to occupy his thoughts, after all. :)

    ReplyDelete