Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I WILL learn.....

Day 4 of trying to kick this pneumonia in the butt. So far it's kicking back. Having no energy to do anything much but sit at the computer and work means I've done a lot of editing over the past week. On both Kindred and what's written of Willa.

I wish there was some sort of counter for novels in progress that worked backwards. Say, for instance, that you have a finished first draft of an eighteenth century historical that's a whopping 325,000 words and you know you have to edit the heck out of it in order to make it remotely publishable.

So you do. You edit it nine times over the span of two years and get that puppy down to 154,000 (as of today) and the words are still falling. It would be nice to have a counter over on the side to track that progress.

I WILL learn not to overwrite.
I WILL learn not to overwrite.
I WILL learn.....

THANK YOU for all the wonderful comments left in the last post's thread. Ya'll blessed me big time, and I appreciate every one.

4 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better sooooon! Yes, that would be a cool gadget. I tend to write backwards at times, back plotting. Would your novel work as a series, by breaking it up into a few books so you don't have to lose all that great writing? I guess we all have writing lessons to learn. My scenes tend to be too short, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla, I've spent years looking for a way to cut this book in two. But I don't see a way it would work. It would read like... half a book. Perhaps other eyes will see. But the editing is going well. I have hope still. :) It's already meant to be the first in a series... but it can stand alone if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great. I'm sure you've explored all the possibilities and then some. Isn't it nice to know it's getting closer to actual publication. Inch by inch, line by line...

    ReplyDelete
  4. As hard as it is to cut some words, it gives me a certain kind of high, too. There are plenty of spots that really need tightening. Still! Liz Curtis Higgs guest-posted on Novel Journey today, and it was very encouraging to me. As Liz wrote:

    Henry Miller is right: “Concentrate. Narrow down. Exclude.”

    ReplyDelete