Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Wait For It

It's another mild and misty morning in southern Oregon... where it really should be much colder, and there should be snow falling. As my cousin Maggie attests in her blog post, my family on the east coast has been abundantly blessed this past month with wintry weather... although I'm not sure blessed is the word they would use just now!

Something I had to get used to after moving to Oregon 17 years ago is that overlaid onto the four seasons are two seasons I didn't experience back in Maryland: the rainy season, and the dry season. Most of the moisture southern Oregon receives in a year falls between late October and early May. Aside from thunderstorms over the mountains (which more often cause forest fires than provide needed moisture), our valley might not see a drop of rain from blistering July thru parched September. So accumulating a snow pack in the mountains, to be drained into the reservoirs come spring, where it will be horded and portioned out over the dry months, is a vital thing. We haven't had enough snow this winter. But winter isn't over yet. In years past we've experienced winter in March, even April. Wait for it, I keep reminding myself.

Waiting well takes practice, and for me, constant looking back. I'm experiencing a time of waiting. Waiting to hear from agents. Waiting to see if "soon" is the time God has appointed for my long-held hope of being published. Or at least taking the next step in that direction. Wondering if the present doors will close too, and I will have to wait some more.

Just like I've seen enough Oregon winters and springs to know not to fret about mild February temperatures that turn what should be snow into rain, I remind myself to look back over the trail I've walked to past times of waiting. Hasn't God always come through? Hasn't He always been faithful? Hasn't His timing been just right, over and over again? Hasn't He been faithful to say No, when what I wanted wouldn't have been the best for me? He has. And He never changes.

Why so anxious, O my soul? Why impatient? Put your trust in God, and His timing, and wait for it.

7 comments:

  1. When the title of this post popped up in Google reader, it absolutely thrilled me. Over the last few months, God seems to be working on transforming how I view waiting. Frustration or dread (@ the wait or uncertainty, whatever the case may be) is being replaced with excitement and anticipation. I hope this is a heart change I learn well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is doing that same work in me, Ruth. I'm learning to view this time of waiting as holding its own particular blessings, that will be gone should this waiting ever end. Time being the greatest of these. And freedom. I want to have eyes to see them, and not take them for granted or squander them. I'm so glad the post spoke to you. Some days I have a subject planned to write about, and have been composing it for days ahead of time. Some mornings, like today, I sit down to write a blog post and I don't know what's going to come flowing out, until I see it on the screen. Those are often more from my heart-of-hearts. May God continue to reveal Himself to you in special ways while you go through this season of waiting. I like your way of looking at waiting, and I've had the same thoughts recently too. God is going to do good things and give good gifts in his time (as his word promises), and anticipating that can lift us up to a place of joy, while we wait for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha it has been snowing a lot here! We had two snowstorms back to back and school's have been cancelled for a while now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie, Sounds like my dream come true when I was your age living there. Only it never came true like it has this past week or two. Hope you are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. God is going to do good things and give good gifts in his time (as his word promises), and anticipating that can lift us up to a place of joy, while we wait for it.

    Amen. :) Thank you, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a little late in reading this, Lori, but its right on time for me today. Thank you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carla, You are so welcome. I doubt anyone who hasn't walked this road can have any idea how long a writer has to wait, and go on waiting, at every stage of this business. Most writers, anyway. I know there are exceptions. But I like what waiting works in my soul. Not the process so much, but the end result!

    ReplyDelete