Friday, February 19, 2010

The Book I Never Read

I didn't read Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller, even though I heard so much praise heaped upon it years ago, and friends whose opinions I respect recommended it. Over and over.

I don't know why I never read it. But I will read it.

As soon as I finish reading Miller's latest book, A Million Miles in a Thousand Years.

What a refreshing take on writing stories, and living our own stories, and choosing a better story if the one we are living is boring, or meaningless, and the importance of a true inciting incident in both cases in order to force our comfort-seeking, afraid-of-change characters (and selves) to actually have a story.

Plus there's some truly delicious writing between those bright mustard-yellow covers, including the best description of corn on the cob I've ever read.

I'm just sayin.

4 comments:

  1. OH NO, Lori! More books on my not read yet list! Where do you find these gems?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know. It never ends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you've certainly caught my attention! I'll have to take a look at this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sallie, I'd love to know what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete