Sunday, January 24, 2010

Listen to the Book

For the past few weeks I've had the book Madeleine L'Engle {Herself} sitting on my bedside table (which supports my 3-tiered To Be Read pile), and each night I read a handful of entries. The book is set up a little like a writer's devotional, with a quote from L'Engle on each page, most of them a couple of paragraphs or a page in length. It being Sunday, I thought I'd share a couple of excerpts from a passage that particularly resonated with me from yesterday's reading.

Listen to the Book

Slowly, slowly, I am learning to listen to the book, in the same way I try to listen in prayer. If the book tells me to do something completely unexpected, I heed it; the book is usually right. If a book like this present one... pushes me to write it, I have no choice except to pay attention.


All I can do, as far as activism is concerned, is to write daily, read as much as possible, and keep my vocabulary alive and changing so that I will have an instrument on which to play the book if it does me the honor of coming to me and asking to be written.
"An instrument on which to play the book."

Selah.

[pg 217, Madeleine L'Engle {Herself}, Reflections on a Writing Life, compiled by Carole F. Chase]

No comments:

Post a Comment