Wednesday, November 04, 2009

A Time and Place

Editing of Kindred is going well, and I'm excited to see the amount of words I can still shave off of the story. Here's a short snippet of the scene I worked on last night and this morning, along with photos taken October of 2006 of the area where Kindred is set, a set of hills and ridges once called the Carraways, near present-day Asheboro, NC. It's the Uwharrie National Forest* now, but way-back-when, before the village that was Asheboro was even named, there were homesteads here, and later gold mines, and always lots and lots of trees and streams and rivers. I chose this area as a setting for a couple of reasons. I didn't want the story set on the frontier, which was deep into the Blue Ridge Mountains by the 1790s, but I do love a steep, hilly, difficult terrain. I needed ridges and draws and waterfalls, and secret places for my characters to stumble upon.


(excerpt removed)











7 comments:

  1. Gorgeous setting, Lori. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish there had been more time on that trip to hike into those hills (supposedly the oldest mountain range in the USA, though you'd never know it was there unless you come at it from the right direction; I did, and it really does look like a miniature mountain range plunked down in the middle of the NC piedmont), find some of the old homesteads that are crumbling away. Maybe one day with some $ behind this endeavor, I can take more extensive research trips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh. That's my plan too. I try not to spend money on writing, because it's not pulling any in yet. So far I've invested postage for mailing MSs (which I don't have to do anymore because my ed and I email now) and lattes for when I write at sbux.

    I always write about places I've never been because I don't have much choice! Thank God for Google Earth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to substitute research books for the lattes, since I don't drink coffee and do all my writing at home.

    Writing about new places is part of the fun, isn't it? I'm deep in research about the Mohawk Valley, and the southern Adirondacks. Of course, I have to hunt up old maps from the 1700s, and scour the net and books for accounts written at or about that time. But what a feeling it is when you hit the jackpot and find that nugget of info you'd hoped existed, or that unexpected gem of historical fact that sparks all sorts of new story ideas.

    It took writing novels to clue me into the fact that I'm a born History Major. Thank God we never have to stop learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love history. I just don't have the time to invest in the reasearch with the kiddos being so little. Maybe when the writing starts paying some bills...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a lovely read, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gynis, Thank you! It's one of the first bits I ever wrote in the book, though it falls quite a few chapters in. And, as Laura Frantz would say, it's Kindred on a diet. Oh, how much has been shaved away, but hopefully all for the good.

    ReplyDelete