Monday, November 23, 2009

Bethankit

Bethankit. It's a Scots word meaning "God be thanked." I've used it often in my novel, KINDRED. I'm using it today to express my gratitude for the many blessings I've been given.
  
"Enter his gates with thanksgiving; go into his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and praise his name." Psalm 100:4

For a warm house, and food, and clothing, bethankit.

For my husband, a man after your own heart, bethankit.

For a friend who went into hospital last week, looking at possible open heart surgery, who yesterday, after much prayer on her behalf, and many tests and dire predictions, has been given a sudden clean bill of health, bethankit.

For getting in contact with the photographer whose image so captures the heart and soul of KINDRED, and being able to order my very own copy to put by my desk while I work, bethankit.

For finishing up the edit on KINDRED today, and reaching a word count of 158K and change, bethankit!

I hope you all have many blessings to count and recount to the Lord, the giver of all good things, this season. Blessings big and small. Blessings in hard times. Blessings in plenty. Feel free to share some here!

Here's a new holiday recipe. I've tried it once this autumn and will no doubt make it again before the New Year rolls around:

Easy Cranberry Cobbler
 
3 cups fresh cranberries
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1 egg
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter, melted

Place cranberries in a lightly greased 8-inch square baking dish; sprinkle with walnuts and 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside. Combine egg and remaining 1/4 cup sugar; beat at high speed of electric mixer until smooth and slightly thickened. Add flour and butter; beat at low speed until smooth. Spoon batter over berry mixture; bake at 325 oven for 45-50 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve cobbler warm; top each serving with a scoop of ice cream. Yield: 6 servings.

Happy Thanksgiving!

(top photo by ecpark, Flickr)

8 comments:

  1. I just love the way that word sounds, like poetry.

    I'm thankful for my husband and sons. I'm thankful for my part-time job. I'm thankful for my writing friends online! :)

    Happy Thanksgiving, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla,

    Oh Amen for the writing friends on line. How solitary and alone I would feel without you all. Bethankit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our lists are so much the same, Lori! And that wreath:) I saved a very similar one from Flickr! a while back. Colonial Wmsburg? I think we're really sisters - separated at birth:) Too many similarities to count. And I am "bethankit" for every one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's a CW photo. :) It's been fun finding all the interests we have in common, two east coast girls with history going way back, living out west with our fellas.

    I had a story idea hit me square in the heart while watching a concert the other day. It would need to be set in the late 19C, maybe even early 20th. No one could be more surprised than me. I've filed it away for "one day." I'm not ready to leave the 18C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For friends near and far, bethankit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And for red velvet cake, bethankit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. For friends who would be so kind as to send their red velvet cake recipe to a certain other friend... bethankit? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doree, I'll add to that, for brother-in-laws who make red velvet cake, bethankit. :)

    If I ever do get the recipe, I'll certainly share it, but it was THE most complicated cake I have ever seen made.

    ReplyDelete