Friday, October 02, 2009

100 Beautiful Words

Author/editor Karen Ball posted a link to a list of the 100 Most Beautiful Words in English. Being a lover of language, and obscure words (my favorite dictionary being my nearly foot-thick 1939 Websters), I had to check it out. And post it here too.

100 Most Beautiful Words in English

My favorite brand-spanking-new-to-me word? Chatoyant: Like a cat's eye (not the shape, I discovered, after looking it up in the nearly foot-thick 1939 Websters, but changeable in hue or color, like a cat's eyes in the dark).

Here be a sampling of other lovely words:
Ebullience Bubbling enthusiasm.
Imbroglio An altercation or complicated situation.
Inglenook A cozy nook by the hearth.
Labyrinthine Twisting and turning.
Onomatopoeia A word that sounds like its meaning.
Serendipity Finding something nice while looking for something else. 
Tintinnabulation Tinkling.
I'm tempted to try and use all 100 of them in WILLA.

3 comments:

  1. These are great, Lori! Thank you for the link.
    Have a Halcyon weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, except for serendipity, I had all of the words you listed as vocab words in 10th grade AP English! (because he took our lists from the classic lit we were reading)

    And to think, most of them have stuck with me all these years later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaye, I'm impressed! There were a couple I'd never heard of at all, but I was happy that I knew the meanings of most of them.

    ReplyDelete