Wednesday, August 05, 2009

writing... what a high

Over the past two days I've written what may be the first scene in WILLA (a working title much easier to type out over and over than The Quiet In The Land, so that's what I'm gonna call it for the sake of brevity).

Wow. It has been quite a few months since I wrote first draft anything. I'd forgotten what a high it is, and how addictive. It made it hard to go back to plotting this morning. I did so anyway (after indulging in a read-through of the scene).

I'm liking how Jeff Gerke approaches plotting in his How To Find Your Story workbook. There are two arcs, the inner journey of the main character and the external plot events, or the story framework. He starts off by having the writer develop the inner journey, the emotional arc of the character, first. I'm still in that part, taking my time and analyzing the choices I'm making, because I don't want to get halfway through this process and realize I could have dug deeper and found an aspect of my character that rings truer, or is more complex, than I had initially thought.

If that happens anyway along the way, well, so be it. But I don't want to rush this plotting thing.

Even for my next writer's high fix. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think I will be better at plotting and planning with my second book. I have tried many ways with the first, and had to sort through the muddle I created. I am ok now but have several notepads, when one would have done I am sure LOL.

    Keep enjoying the high :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard to go back to plotting after that. But it must be done. And the writing will be the better for it in the long run.

    At least, I sure hope so!

    ReplyDelete