Saturday, June 20, 2009

Encouraging news

A few days ago I received a request from another literary agency, one I had submitted three chapters of Kindred to right after the Mount Hermon conference in April. This time it was a request for the full manuscript.

Time to wait again, while Kindred is read and considered for representation. But the timing of the request couldn't have been more encouraging.

I was pleased to be able to say in my cover letter that since the conference I've lowered the word count by over 20,000 words. The total stands at 176K, and it's still coming down.

Thanks to everyone who sent me encouraging notes over the past two weeks, and for your prayers. I appreciate them more than I can say!

Also on the writing front, a new set of characters is talking to me! I'm gradually starting to divide my time between editing Kindred and plotting/brainstorming a new historical set in the Mohawk Valley of New York, just after the Revolutionary War. Some of the characters will intersect with Ian and Seona's story, much later on (if I ever write a sequel to Kindred). But this is their story, and as sketchy as it is at present, I'm excited about it.

I love this season when the characters and their story are starting to crack open, and I'm getting intriguing glimpses. As I posted on Facebook recently, I want to keep saying to my husband (who frequently gets to hear all about the voices in my head and what they're saying), "I swear I'm not making this up!" It's as though
the story is there, fully realized and existing, and if I stare at the bits that are showing long enough all the pieces start falling out of the ether and into place.

Of course, it's never that simple. But there are moments when it feels like it is.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations, how lovely to hear your news!
    I have voices in my head too, my characters are alive and kicking now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats you your encouraging news, that is wonderful to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ruth & Glynis!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such exciting news, Lori, on several fronts! :) I know what you mean about a story already existing and the writer serving as a conduit. As a reader, it is clear which writers seem to convey a story, and which ones choose to manipulate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sallie,

    Do you still hang out at the forum? In Writers Exercises they're doing a marathon today thru Saturday. I've missed those. I'm participating in this one, but for the first time my goal is to lose words instead of gain them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lori,
    I haven't been able to visit the forum as much as I'd like, but I do pop in when I can. I hope your marathon editing goes well. Will you be spending any of that time on the new historical?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sallie,

    I was just telling a friend yesterday that I'm trying to keep the door shut on the new story right now, while I finish this final (I mean it!) edit on Kindred. While I'll keep querying, if that's still needed, I want my mind free to concentrate on the new story. And where that stands now, it still needs a lot of brainstorming and plotting work before I'll begin any serious scene writing. I want to be sure I have a plot here, and try to make the writing process go significantly faster than it did with Kindred. Which was a special case. I was getting over chemo fog and whatever kept me writing, five years ago, I wrote. It didn't matter to me at the time whether it would end up in the final draft of the book.

    Now I'm paying for that. But it's what it took to keep me writing when I felt mentally fragile and it got me to this place of greater confidence and passion, so I have to say it was worth all this editing work I'm having to do now. :)

    ReplyDelete