Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Word count update (or downdate.....)

Still researching agents, getting my brain in gear to write two or three versions of the synopsis (because every agent just about wants one at a different length), the query letter and of course, I'm still editing the Beast.

Down to 211,000 words. From an original 300,000+ (286,000 after the first edit; 232,819 after the second).

Making slow progress. After this line by line, I'll have to start yanking out more scenes. Not that I haven't been already, but I left a few in that I really hoped I wouldn't have to remove. But I'm determined not to start submitting this book while it's over 200,000 words.

Because that number 2 is so bright a green* that I'm afraid it's all the agents will see, and won't give the story a chance.

*Doesn't everyone see the number 2 as being green?

4 comments:

  1. Lori ~
    I may not see the number two as green, but it does hold a distinctive spot on my rollercoaster of numbers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sallie,

    Lauri just sent me an interesting article on synesthesia:

    http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/02/09/synesthesia.genes/index.html

    Love your avatar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very interesting article, Lori. I am most fascinated by synesthetes who see music in color.

    Glad you like the avatar. It is my youngest DD hamming it up at Disneyland. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, thanks for blogging at Words to Go. But there's no email addy where you may be reached. You won Karen Ball's novel Shattered Justice. Will you please email me and let me know if you'd like to claim it? Thanks
    Patricia Hickman
    Words to Go
    pattyhickman@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete