Sunday, January 18, 2009

Teresa of Avila... and a new writing blog

I'm reading Wounded, by Claudia Mair Burney. Interesting book about stigmata. Not sure I'd have picked it up if it had been written by any other author (okay, for Francine Rivers I'd have given it a go!), but having read Burney's Zora & Nicky, and loved it to pieces, I decided to give Wounded a try. No comment yet. I'm only half-way through.

Okay, one small comment. I love the voices of her characters! It's the characters, not their situation, carrying me through this tale. I'm reading it in snatches every chance I get, setting all other books aside for the moment. No idea how it's going to turn out. That's a good thing.

I reached a part in the story where Teresa of Avila is mentioned, and a paraphrase of some of her writings and wisdom is shared by one of the main characters, Anthony. It struck such a deep cord with me this Sunday morning that I went to Googling. Here it is, from Teresa of Avila's Breviary:

Let nothing disturb you,
Let nothing frighten you,
All things are passing away,
God never changes
Patience obtains all things.
Whoever has God lacks nothing.
God alone suffices.

Selah.

I also wanted to share a new Christian writers blog. Novel Matters is just getting up and going. It's a blog by seven published (or very soon to be published) authors. I look forward to what these ladies will be sharing in the weeks to come.

Check it out for yourself here.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment