Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Kindred mid-month check in

October 15th? Already? Say it ain't so!

My goal has been to finish the last chapters of Kindred, at least in rough draft form, by October 30th (the following day being my 40th birthday).

So, Lori, how's it going with that goal thing?

Glad you asked! It's going all right. I'm cautiously optimistic that I can make my self-imposed deadline. I have a short bridging chapter to write tomorrow, then a section already written to edit through. Then comes the climax scenes to write, then the denouement (or winding down/wrap up) scenes. If I can get the climax scenes written next week, and the wrap up scenes the week after, then I'll make my goal. It's quite all right if I don't. I'm not going to rush through these crucial scenes to the point I sacrifice the quality of my writing process, just for the sake of a number on a calendar. But it's fun to push myself a bit more than usual, just to see if I can do it.

It's a strange feeling, being so near the end of this journey. A part of me doesn't want to cross that finish line. Not that I'm going to be leaving these characters behind any time soon. There's still a major edit to get through, and then the (likely very) long search for an agent and editor. Still, it's strange to be writing scenes I first envisioned, and sketched out, in some cases three or four years ago.

It's been a long journey, long enough to come to love Ian and Seona, and Thomas and Lily, and Judith, and Hugh, and Malcolm. Even Rosalyn, who at least got to deliver a good parting shot.

Pressing onward.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Lori! I've just awarded you the I Love Your Blog Award on the American Patriot Series Blog! You've been tagged, so head on over and find out what you have to do. lol!

    Just what you needed, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joan! I'll do my best to pass along the favor.

    ReplyDelete