Thursday, October 30, 2008

The End... for now

I did it! I wrote the last two scenes of Kindred today, and reached my goal of finishing the last section by October 30th. I'm pretty wiped, having a hard time finding more words to type this blog post, but I wanted to get something down to mark the day. I wrote the last sentence a little while ago, stared at it, then got up from the computer and burst into tears. It's been little bursts of laughter and tears since, as I've wandered the house and various super markets and craft stores (although I managed to contain those in public).

Lots of thanksgiving going up heavenward. Four years and nearly seven months. Now I have a tome. A little monster of a book that's twice as fat as it ought to be, or so I'm told by Those Who Know. I don't care. Not today. I'm proud of my baby. I'll whip it into shape eventually.

After all, it's not truly The End. Not for me and not for these characters. Their story spins on in my head, and I mean to eventually write it. But I did try to wrap this book up as a stand alone novel and give it a sense of closure. Hard to gauge whether I succeeded, since I can't experience it without the knowledge I have of What Happens Next. If there's anything at the end that is hard to take--and some tough moral decisions were made, let me tell you--I have the comfort of knowing it won't always be that way for the characters. God has a plan for their lives, and He's working it out... though not on their timetable.

Now I'm talking about my characters as though they are real people (they are, of course, I'm just not sure I'm meant to admit that in public....) so I'll stop rambling.

Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us; yes, establish the work of our hands.

6 comments:

  1. What a huge achievement, Lori!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Lori! Way to go!!!!! I just loved reading your victorious post and also hearing all the emotions that go along with so great a moment. And "Happy Birthday to you!" - hope it is absolutely lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you (all three)!

    Anika, the day wasn't what we'd planned. It was better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, I love your post. How wonderful to have "finished" your novel. And now for the really fun stuff--editing. Truly that's my favorite part. :-)

    I'm really proud of you.

    And I know first hand what a wonderful cook you are and so I will definitely try your recipies.

    Thanks so much.

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Bonnie! I hope you enjoy those recipes.

    I'd like to do a post like this on the first of every month, share a favorite recipe or two, and make a project out of photographing the results. Just another creative outlet. *s*

    ReplyDelete