Sunday, September 21, 2008

ACFW Genesis Contest Winners!

Whoo-hooooo! I'm jazzed that Kindred placed third in the Historical category of the 2008 ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) Genesis Contest. Winners were announced last night at a banquet in Minneapolis, during the annual conference. Wish I could've been there, but my photo was, as far as I know, popped up on screen in a powerpoint presentation. Hopefully I can get some first hand accounts, once the conferees come trickling back home.

Can I get a witness?

Here's the full list of winners (I entered Kindred under the title Trouble the Water). Congrats to all!

Chick lit, mom lit, lady lit Category:
1st: Erica Vetsch, Pam On Rye
2nd: Lynda Schab, Mind Over Madi
3rd: Tiffany Kinerson, Stand On My Own Two Hands

Contemporary Fiction Category:
1st: Dan Case, The Voice
2nd: Christina Berry, Undiscovered
3rd: Jim Rubart, Book of Days

Contemporary Romance Category:
1st: Annalisa Daughety, Love is a Battlefield
2nd: Kathleen Haynes, The Quarterback Club
3rd: Cara Slaughter, Joanna's Treasure

Historical Fiction category:
1st: Mona Hodgson, A Thimble's Worth
2nd: Rachel Moore, A Trail of Waves
3rd: Lori Benton, Trouble The Water

Historical Romance category:
1st: Patty Smith Hall, Flights of Freedom
2nd: Karen Witemeyer, Cloud by Day
3rd: Erica Vetsch, Marriage Masquerade

Mystery/Suspense/Thriller category:
1st: Jane Thornton, Menace
2nd Donna Alice Patton, Wrestling Demons
3rd: Janice Olson, Don't Look Back

Romantic Suspense category:
1st: Jenness Walker, Deja Vu
2nd: Dani Pettrey, Quest
3rd (tie): Kelly Ann Riley, A Cowboy's Prayer
3rd (tie): Jane Thornton, Be Anxious

In the Science Fiction/Fantasy/Allegory category:
1st: Chawna Schroeder, Metamorphosis
2nd: Lynda K. Arndt, The Song of Blood and Stone
3rd: Valerie Comer, The Girl Who Cried Squid

Women's Fiction category:
1st: Heather Goodman, 50 Things To Do Before I Turn 30
2nd: Cynthia Ruchti, They Almost Always Come Home
3rd: Kristian Tolle, When Autumn Comes

Young Adult category:
1st: Carla Stewart, An Unexpected Journey
2nd: Stefanie Morris, The Dragon of Delarest
3rd: Kasey L. Heinly, Broken Glass


And to top it off we are having our first lovely rain shower after a long dry summer, the new dog is freshly washed, and my husband just went to get pizza for dinner. Ah.... life be good.

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Lori! Fantastic news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I immediately went WHOHOO! when I realized my new "Lost" friend was a finalist! Congrats on placing third!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much, Rachel and Leslie. I'm pretty tickled to have placed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Lori. Your lovely picture did grace the big screen. I wish you could've been there. It was a lovely night. Woohoo! Third in historical fiction! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erica,

    Thank you! But not like YOU rock. Congrats on your triple: a first place win, a third place win, and for hitting it out of the ballpark with a contract offer. Way. To. Go!

    I know it's been a long time coming for you, but we're all on God's timetable, and it's the best timetable there is, so... it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, Lori! What exciting news! *s*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sallie,

    Thank you!

    Haven't seen you 'round the forum lately. Do you still visit?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I pop in when I can, but a busy summer has been followed by a busy start to fall. Once we get through soccer season, I should be able to spend more time at the forum.

    By the way, I've been planning to email you about my recent trip to Boston, so keep an eye on your inbox. *s*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats, Lori! It's always wonderful to win something, especially when you've worked to get there. People read it! They liked it! Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynne,

    Thank you!

    Since I've received the judges feedback comments I'm amazed--and thankful--that I even placed third. *s* But these tough critiques are needful and will be another help in my shortening this monster of a book, and making it better.

    After I finish making it a bit longer first. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lori!
    I'm so excited to add your blog to my favorites so I can check it each day! Congratulations on placing third in the contest -- that is awesome!!! Historical fiction is my absolute favorite. :) Can't wait to read Kindred!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anika,

    You like historical fiction? Oh boy, have we got a lot to talk about! :)

    You'll have to tell me some of your favorites next time we get a chance to chat.

    ReplyDelete