Saturday, July 12, 2008

10 Things

A writer acquaintance from the Compuserve Books and Writers Forum developed this fun meme some months back.

Then Things About Me as a Writer

1. Your genre(s)?
Historical at present, although I've written contemporary, fantasy, and one children's book.

2. How many books have you completed?
Three, and nearly finished my fourth. I've written more than half of two others.

3. How many books are you working on now?
One. KINDRED (aka TROUBLE THE WATERS).

4. Are you a linear or chunk writer?
Linear before cancer, chunk after, swinging back toward linear now.

5. The POV you're most partial to?
Third person, as deep as I can get it. Although working with first person for the first time with KINDRED has been interesting. I'd do it again!

6. The theme that keeps cropping up in your books?
The Prodigal Son, and father/son themes in general. In the two cases the son had a good relationship with his father, that father is deceased and deeply missed and his guidance still needed. I have no idea why this theme crops up so consistently, seeing as I'm neither a son nor a father. It chose me.

Another theme (the title of which I'm stealing from Beth Shope's recent post on themes--and also where I discovered the link to this meme) is Duty vs. Desire. This goes hand in hand with the Prodigal Son theme, and is particularly suited to historicals, when duty and family loyalty, honor and reputation were of great importance, more so than they seem to be today. Ian Cameron struggles with this issue throughout KINDRED, and in the end has to make a terribly difficult choice in the matter.

7. How many days a week do you write?
usually 5-6

8. What time of day do you get your best writing done?
9AM to noon. Sometimes again from 1pm to 3pm, though that doesn't happen every day. This is my schedule as long as life doesn't throw a curve ball, as it does from time to time.

9. Who are your mentors?
The good and generous writers at the CompuServe Books and Writers Forum. Among them Diana Gabaldon, Jo Bourne, Beth Shope, Barbara Rogan, Lauri Klobas.

10. Who are your favorite authors to read? (different from mentors)
Ellis Peters; Anne Perry; Francine Rivers; Tolkien; there are scads, so I'm sure I'll think of more....

No comments:

Post a Comment