Sunday, June 08, 2008

Meeting and Word Count and Goals

Had another great meeting with fellow Southern Oregon ACFW members Beth, Lynn, Anne, Bonnie, and Lorena, yesterday, Saturday the 7th of June, at the lovely Heaven On Earth restaurant and bakery. We talked about our careers, the biz, our WIPs, some disappointments and some triumphs, one really scary reader response, and what can happen when a writer is asked to rewrite her manuscript two months before her deadline--yikes! Go Bonnie. Go Bonnie.

Guess I'll mention that my word count is down to 236,000 now. And if my glancing ahead at Lauri's notes on the coming chapters is any indication (and of course if I agree with her suggestions!), that count is about to drop dramatically over the next week or two.

I want to push ahead and finish the current edit, then get busy writing that final section, which should take a few months at the rate I usually write (S-L-O-W). I'd like to have that section completed by September.

Then I'm sure it will need whittling down, like everything I (over)write.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lori,

    I found your blog through 'Novel Journey'. Interesting posts. Like you, I have a tendency to over write. A year ago this revelation dawned on me, I'm learning how to write tight.

    Couldn't you put Kindred into two books?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And thanks for the visit. *s*

    About splitting Kindred into two books: I tried that. I'd hoped it would work, but of course the story arc was conceived as a whole, and splitting it up made for a very unsatisfying read. Even in a series, each book should be able to stand alone as a story. Not that every story question raised is answered by the end of the first book, but _something_ significant should feel complete. With Kindred, nothing was answered, no story arc completed, at the only possible early cut off point.

    ReplyDelete