Sunday, March 02, 2008

A Meeting of the Minds


Or a meeting of the Muses?

Here we are, the Southern Oregon (unofficial) Chapter of ACFW, at our second quarterly meeting yesterday. From left to right: Beth Goddard, Bonnie Leon, moi, Ann Shorey, Lorena McCourtney, and Lynn Ludwick. All these lovely ladies are published (or newly contracted) authors... except moi.

We had an inspiring three+ hours of fellowship, food, MUCH talk on writing, and even a little brainstorming for Beth and Bonnie, and maybe a few others, too. I love hanging out with writers. You never know where the conversation will go. Yesterday's conversation veered from the use of symbolism in writing to the pros and cons of staging a murder in a recognizable lakeside lodge. Hypothetically, of course!

And they treat us well at Heaven On Earth. They're a bakery as well as a restaurant (that plate of cookies in the foreground was complimentary, to get us started).

It rained/snowed off and on, but the sun was peeking through the hurrying clouds as we finally made our way out to our cars. I was the last to leave the parking lot. Did anyone else see how brilliant that faint rainbow we saw as we came out of the building turned? It was the most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen and seemed to be arching directly over the mountain hollow where Heaven On Earth is nestled. I didn't notice it until I was almost on the freeway, so I skipped my exit, made a U-turn and hurried back to try and snap a photo. In the few seconds that took, the rainbow had faded!



Hot coffee, notebook, pen, and cookies. Yep, it's a writers meeting.

9 comments:

  1. Yesterday's meeting was great fun!!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I spot an extra chair (right in front of the plate of cookies). Mind if I join you? *s*

    It looks like you ladies had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lori.

    I had a great time yesterday. It's so much fun to get together with other writers. Only writers can understand the compulsion. :-)

    Love ya,

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you can get your local group built up enough so that you're meeting monthly! My local group (MTCW) has been meeting once a month since 2004, and it's one of the things I most look forward to--even though it means I have to prepare a 2 hour talk on some writing topic or another! But you're right--there is nothing like the fellowship of other authors.

    Looks like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaye,

    We've discussed monthly meetings, but for now have decided to keep it quarterly. We're a geographically challenged group here, many of us coming from over an hour away in opposite directions to the place we meet. It would be fun to meet more often. We'll see how things develop. It's early days yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sallie,

    Wish you could have been there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beth & Bonnie,

    Great to see you both again. I went away from the meeting very tired (being the introvert that I am, even fun and desired conversation for hours on end tends to drain me) but feeling inspired and uplifted and reminded again why I love writing and being a writer.

    And Bonnie, your website is GORGEOUS. Kelly does an amazing job. What a gift she has.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice group of ladies and what a great way to spend a day. You have a lovely blog here. I shall enjoy reading through the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erica,

    Thanks for dropping in. I'm experimenting here to see how I like blogging. It's mostly about my WIP. I hope to look back at it one day with fond memories of the editing process... once enough time has passed that I no longer remember the frustrations. *s*

    Your Contest Etiquette 101 (posted on Kaye's blog) has had a great impact on me. Lots of great advice, like keeping the judges and the whole event in prayer.

    ReplyDelete