Tuesday, January 22, 2008

One-Book Meme

I snagged this meme from writer Kaye Dacus's blog. Feel free to snag it for your own.

1. One book that changed your life. Taliesin by Stephen Lawhead, first book in his Pendragon (King Arthur) series. It wasn't the first fantasy I read, but it was the first with a historical Celtic (in this case Welsh) cultural basis. It inspired a lifelong fascination with Iron Age, Roman and Romano-British periods of England, Wales and Scotland (evidenced by my Bucket List), which in turn has inspired and/or influenced everything I've written since (excluding the teddy bear story....).

2. One book that you have read more than once. Obviously there's more than one, and very hard to choose, but I'll go with An Excellent Mystery, by Ellis Peters (Edith Pargeter). I have this book in her Brother Cadfael mystery series on tape, and I can listen to it over and over for the beauty of the language, as well as for the story. Of course it holds no mystery for me now, yet I find it as moving no matter how often I listen/read.

3. One book you would want on a desert island. Because this is a One Book meme... my Bible, hands down.

4. One book that made you laugh. To Say Nothing Of The Dog: or How We Found The Bishop's Bird Stump at Last by Connie Willis. Time travel set largely in Victorian England. Just read it. Please. Better, listen to the Recorded Books, Inc. version.

5. One book that made you cry. Taliesin—by Stephen Lawhead. No spoilers as to why.

6. One book you wish you’d written. Another tough choice. Titles are swirling through my thoughts. Snagging one more or less at random: Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers.

7. One book you wish had never been written. I don't think I've read a book I feel that negatively about. The last book that made me wish I hadn't wasted my time reading it was The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman.

8. One book you are currently reading. The Brother's Keeper by Tracey Groot (author of Madman, which won the latest Christy award for historicals; I am really, really liking this author's work).

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read. Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts. Because of the setting, the Mohawk Valley of NY, where my KINDRED characters look likely to end up... eventually.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like I'll be adding several titles to my 2008 TBR list! I needed some more historicals out of my era (Georgian/Regency), so I'll definitely be looking into the books you've listed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaye,

    I think you'll like To Say Nothing of the Dog. It felt like a SciFi Jane Austen to me, although the time period is later than JA, similar sorts of characters and situations. If you can listen to it by Recorded Books, all the better. The reader is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori ~

    The difficulty lies in choosing just one book in each category! *g*

    Like Kaye, I'll be adding more titles to my teetering TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sallie,

    Yes, it was hard to choose just one.

    A blog that showcases new Christian fiction is Novel Journey. They regularly interview new authors (and some mainstream authors too; Dean Koontz was recently interviewed). The link is in my list of favorites down the left side. I followed a link from today's interview with new author Julie Klassen, to her site, and read the prologue of her Regency, The Lady of Milkweed Manor. I was impressed. I'm going to track down a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori ~

    Thanks for guiding me to Novel Journey. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my local library has a copy of The Lady of Milkweed Manor (which I've put on hold). Hard to resist a book that is written 'in the tradion of Jane Austen.' *s*

    ReplyDelete