Monday, January 14, 2008

About the teddy bear

I wrote the first half of Bear Country in the late 1980s. It sat untouched for quite a number of years, until I went back to it sometime in 2000 or 2001 and rewrote that early version, and finished the manuscript. Every few years I've taken it out of the "drawer" and given it a buff and shine, thinking I really should do something with it. Shop it around again. Something. I once paid a chunk of change to have a childrens book editor give it a thorough critique. She liked the concept, but wanted to see the character as the hero of a series of books for beginning readers. I fiddled with that idea, plotted and brainstormed, but could find no real or lasting passion for it. Back in the drawer it went while I spent nearly four years writing KINDRED.

Now it's out again, and I still have the hope and passion for the story I had twenty years ago. Yesterday I shared some scenes from BC with an on line acquaintance who posts here on this blog. After hearing her children's responses to the excerpt (their ages are 6, 9 and 11 and they all liked it very much *s*), I'm once again feeling that longing to DO SOMETHING with this story.

Over the past few days I've had an inspiration for creating a simple discussion guide for parents to use with children. There are many biblical themes in BC, although God is never once mentioned. I never tried to market this book to the CBA publishers, because of that fact. But if I were to create a discussion guide, focusing on those themes, with verses, questions.... Well, nothing ventured, as they say. And it'll keep me busy this month while KINDRED continues to sit on the back burner.

I've been very good in that regard. I've jotted down a few notes, editing ideas, but I haven't opened the file, or read a single word.

No comments:

Post a Comment