Friday, December 28, 2007

Friday muddle

It's Friday. Half way between Christmas and New Years. What work I've done this week has not gone particularly well. I'm still wrangling and wrestling with Chapter Three. I'm worn out, and i have a cold, but I'm not giving in just yet. Words still swirl through my head. Voices too. Thomas, Ian, Benjamin Eden. Facets of character I need to make clearer, stronger, settled in my mind and on the page, while keeping an interesting flow and pace and texture to the scenes.

Challenge. Accusation. A clash of wills and purpose. That's what this chapter is about, for the most part. I'm having an equally frustrating clash in the crafting of it.

Should the deeper accusation be spoken, or implied? If spoken, that's going to mean a new and different tension between Thomas and Ian, one I'm not sure would best serve the story right now. Better to keep it lighter now, and save the deeper accusation for later? I think. But let a hint of it bleed through now?

That, and a hundred other questions to resolve. Or else leave it all in a tangle again and move forward? I don't think so. That feels a bit like framing a house atop an unfinished foundation.

But what do I know? Muddle, muddle.

This I know: "Philippians 4:13, for Pete's sake!" (to quote Olivia de Mitford)

4 comments:

  1. Lori ~

    Here's hoping that Friday's muddle has become Saturday's enlightenment. *s*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sallie,

    No, still muddled. But it's part of the process. I find that, unlike writing new material day after day, this sort of macro editing is aided by taking a couple days off now and then. That usually means the weekend. I'll be back to work Monday morning and who knows, it might fall neatly into place. *s*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, I love what you are writing! What is the overall direction of the story? Are we all romantically over the edge about the past? Giggle...That says something about our present...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane,

    Thank you! There's a back cover type blurb in a previous post from November. The post is titled So Let It Be Written.

    KINDRED isn't a family saga, but it has a lot to do with blood ties and kinship across the slave/racial line. It's a story about how two people eventually bridge that gulf and make a life together.

    ReplyDelete