Friday, December 14, 2007

Curious about the graves

Obscured by thickening mist, it seemed just one more stone, like countless others thrusting through the leaf-mold in the folds of the ridge. He’d nearly strode past it, grown sure of his course, when the stone’s smooth regularity of texture and form made him halt.
~ from Kindred

In October of this year I traveled to North Carolina on a final (well, final for now) research trip to visit several settings in Kindred. I traveled with a friend, who I met up with in Wisconsin. We then drove south to Tennessee, where we stayed for a couple of days before the NC leg of the journey. While there we explored Cade's Cove, an area of early mountain settlement. The settlers' cabins, churches, graveyards and a mill are all preserved. Many of the photos I've used on this site were taken during this trip.

I seem to have taken quite a few photos of graves. This first one caught my eye because the man, John Oliver, was born during the year Kindred opens, 1793. And his wife's name, Lurena.... I love it! I've a feeling the name will show up somewhere in the book before all's said and done.




Another intriguing grave marker. North Carolina Rebels, indeed!


A
nd one more.. Many of the oldest graves around the churches of Cade's Cove were marked by undressed stone, without even this much identification scratched onto their weathered faces.


7 comments:

  1. Lori,

    I will have to tell my mom about your blog. She loves going around to old grave sites and especially in pursuit to geneology data.

    She'll really enjoy these photos.

    Thanks for stopping by Novel Journey and commenting on my interview. That means a lot.

    Merry Christmas.

    Cheryl Wyatt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori, you have such a strong and beautiful voice. There's another writer you put me in mind of...what's her name...oh yeah. Diana Gabaldon.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl! Thanks for visiting. Again, your interview at Novel Journey was one of the most inspiring I've read in a long while. Way to keep your head and heart fixed on Him through this... novel journey. *s*

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth, thank you so much. I don't know if I see that at all, but... thank you. That's awfully high praise.

    As always, "Back Atcha!"

    And thanks for keeping me company here in my little corner of cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori ~

    The imagery in this passage is just beautiful. I particularly like these two sentences --

    "Stones he'd taken for the raised bony knuckles of the hillside assumed their true identities by degrees, like ghosts emerging from the swirling vapors."

    "The wild geese passed unseen above the mist, and his soul took wing and followed them, nameless and free, tracing its own flight pattern far and away."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sallie,

    Thank you. *s*

    These snips are from one of the older bits I wrote, years ago now. Happily it still fit into the whole after all this time.

    ReplyDelete